Thursday, May 8, 2008

That was a joke, and some other things

For the four of you who read my blog, I'd like to point out that the last entry was a joke. The second paragraph was taken almost verbatim from one of Patrick Bateman's (played by Christian Bale) internal monologues from the movie American Psycho. I wrote the entry while I was in the Charlotte airport instead of doing work and couldn't stop laughing.

In other news, I spent all of my remaining money online yesterday. Ok, not all of it. But a lot. Thanks to a generous sister and amazon.com credit card rewards, I had acquired $370 in amazon gift certificates. Eager to start getting stuff ready for Africa, I purchased:

Apple iPod Classic 160 GB Black

Solio Solar Charger

Solar Powered Battery Charger

Rechargeable AA Batteries

Rechargeable AAA Batteries

Panasonic Lumix Camera, 8.1 Megapixel, 18x Optical/4x Digital Zoom with Optical Image Stabilization

Panasonic 4 GB SD Memory Card

The iPod will mainly act as a small portable hard drive. I'll keep all of my media on it, then use the laptop to transfer music from the large iPod to my smaller iPod Shuffles, which are easier to take with you on the go, and less of a big deal if stolen.

The Solio, hopefully, will be used to charge my iPods, as well as my cell phone (once I purchase it over there). The Solio cannot charge batteries, so I also got the solar battery charger as a backup - the batteries will power things like the speakers for my iPod, my backup camera, flashlights/lamps and maybe a small fan or something of that sort.

The camera. I'm really excited about this camera. 18x optical zoom with image stabilization? Awesome!!! That means I won't really have to be very close to the giant spiders in order to get giant pictures of them. I'm pumped.

In other news, I can now benchpress 275 pounds and lift 200 pounds directly over my head while seated (aka, seated shoulder press/military press). This is a big deal to me, because it means I am now strong enough to do handstand pushups, an essential exercise for someone in the middle of Africa with no weights. Now I just need to learn how to do handstands..

1 comment:

kam said...

you didn't buy the uranium ore for $30? :) I've tried handstand a couple of times, and I found it easiest doing it against a wall. Have you thought of something to lock all your gadgets in? I can imagine kids digging around and stealing your expensive toys.