Sunday, May 11, 2008

electro-synthomagnetic musical sounds

On Friday morning, after only a few hours of sleep, I hopped on a two hour flight from DCA to Orlando to visit Aunt Elaine (my godmother) for the weekend. After doing a few crossword puzzles and giving up on reading a patent case about a connecting structure for log walls (Zzzzzzz), I decided it was time for some sleep. While many of you may be excellent sleep-anywhere'ers, I'm not. Sleeping on an airplane is especially challenging.

Generally, when sleeping in a horizontal bed, I fall asleep on my side, or, judging by the plurality of lines across my entire face in the morning, flat on my stomach. One can't sleep like that on an airplane. When I know I'm going to be attempting to procure some amount of sleep on a flight, I grab a window seat. Unfortunately, my flight on Friday was on a small plane, so instead of leaning against the window and sleeping, the window sort of curved into my sitting area, so I had to sleep straight up (I'm 6'2 - not that tall, but tall enough for the wall to hit my head in small aircraft).

Okay, hopefully that has established some sort of harbinger for poor sleep. Seeing as we were above 10,000 feet, I also chose to listen to my iPod, on which I had recently loaded a 5-disc box set of 60 Years of Disney Classics. What? You never get nostalgic?? Oh, okay, then I guess you CAN make fun of me. Anyway, as I drifted in and out of reverie, I was serenaded by songs ranging from When You Wish Upon a Star to One Jump Ahead.

The last song I listened to BLEW. MY. MIND. Before Friday, I had never listened to or even heard of the Disneyland Main Street Electrical Parade. Please listen to/watch this:



I woke to this song and had NO IDEA where I was. Hopefully you can imagine what this song might do to a sleep-deprived, trying-to-sleep-on-an-airplane-but-can't patent examiner. Even as I listen to it now, I feel like I'm on some sort of discount 80's drug.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dude, that was wack. It really weirded me out. Everything from the pseudo-harpsichord to the 1970's robot voices and the girly voices of all the animals. And the farting dragon. And it just kept going on and on and on. Is the song on your iPod as long as this vid?